Windows Server 2012 R2 is end of life in October
On the 10th October 2023, Microsoft are withdrawing support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2.
So, what does this mean and for what reasons should you consider replacing your 2012 server?
- End of support: Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows Server 2012 on January 9, 2018, and extended support will end on October 10th 2023. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or patches, leaving the server vulnerable for security threats.
- Performance: 2012 servers may not have the performance capabilities needed for modern workloads. Newer servers have faster processors, more memory, and better storage options that can improve performance.
- Compatibility: Many software applications and hardware devices may no longer be compatible with Windows Server 2012. This can limit the ability to upgrade software and hardware in the future.
- Cost: Maintaining older servers can be more expensive than upgrading to new hardware. Older servers may require more frequent maintenance and repairs, and energy costs can be higher due to less efficient hardware.
- Compliance: Depending on the industry, there may be regulatory requirements to maintain up-to-date hardware and software. Upgrading to newer servers can ensure compliance with these requirements.
If you have any questions with the above or if you would like further information, please reach out to your account manager or feel free to call us on 0330 024 4222.
Delivering Digital Excellence to Liverpool and Merseyside’s Businesses
Since 1988, we have prided ourselves on empowering businesses in Liverpool and Merseyside using technology. Over time, we have grown to become a leading IT support, telecommunications, and modern workplace solutions provider. Our mission is to keep your business secure, productive and connected. Although we’re experts in the world of technology, we’re all about people-focused relationships, bringing a personal touch and dedicated account management services that you can rely on. See what’s possible for your business today by getting in touch, we’ll be glad to assist you.